Learn How to Negotiate Managed Care Shared Risk Agreements
With Confidence and Success
The only Master Class workshop of its kind, nationwide.
Value-based payments, capitation, pay for performance, bundled case rates and more!
This Class is offered in St George, Utah at the 5-Diamond Inn at Entrada at Snow Canyon.
Make your hotel reservations and prepay through our office to save 20% on hotel advertised rates.
In Analyzing and Negotiating Shared Risk Agreements® you’ll learn what works, why it works, and how to defend your business when someone offers a managed care shared risk agreement to you.
Shared risk comes in many forms, including Pay-for-Performance, incentive contracts, capitation, bundled case rates, and more.
Maria Todd has been teaching the public and in-house customized contract analysis and negotiation in her award winning workshops, seminars and master classes for over 20 years during Clinton-era healthcare reform during the 1990s. In this class, you'll come away with tools to help you analyze and negotiate contracts, shared risk models, and design mutually rewarding relationships between payers and providers. You'll bring home extensive take home materials for future reference and to speed up the analytical process.
Contract analysis requires super-sharpened skills that many people lack. Actually, there are very few places to learn the tactics and strategies to analyze and negotiate shared risk contracts. The stakes are too great to proceed without training. You could use a checklist, but you often, people only use the checklist for what is printed on the paper and completely overlook what is missing that should be included. You have to know what is missing, how critical it is, why it should be there, and what it should say. And that's exactly what Maria Todd teaches in this Master Class on Analyzing and Negotiating Share Risk Agreements®.
Once you learn HOW to analyze a shared-risk contract, perils and pitfalls you didn’t see before will almost glow from the paper. Your critical thinking skills will improve and you'll be less likely to overlook a detail that could cost you millions in lost revenues.
You’ll come away with ideas you want to put to use that very evening, including these 11 valuable takeaways:
- What kinds of shared risk arrangements are possible
- How to protect yourself using risk-corridor models
- Why contract dates matter more than you might realize
- How risk arrangements are constructed
- How to evaluate a capitation contract (where you are paid a flat fee, per-member-per-month)
- How to evaluate hospital contracts that feature shared risk, bonuses and penalties
- A checklist of questions to ask and clarifications to obtain before you sign.
- What to do about latent ambiguity (Latent ambiguity is that which does not readily appear on the face of a document. It becomes apparent only in the light of knowledge gained from a collateral matter.)
- How disputes are resolved
- Best practices for shared pharmacy risks in the hospital and clinic setting
- How to ask for and interpret plan participant demographic data
About the Workshop Leader: Maria Todd
Maria Todd consults to healthcare organizations on reimbursement strategy and contracting. Since 1983, Maria Todd has trained more than 70,000 healthcare industry professionals in over 2600 presentations. in 116 countries. In addition to Master Classes like this one, she trains through association events and on-site programs at health systems nationwide.
Analyzing and Negotiating Share Risk Agreements® is a powerful, one-day, interactive workshop with the doyenne of managed care contracting. Maria Todd. Most of her students agree that they know what they want to achieve, but they aren’t sure how to go about getting it. Managed care payer negotiation is not linear. Payers view the value of a healthcare provider differently than the healthcare provider sees itself. They also push claims cost risks to anyone gullible enough to take it. No matter how diligently you prepare – you will always encounter surprises. Some surprises infuriate you, some frustrate you, and others change your perspective.
The one-day, interactive workshop, Analyzing and Negotiating Shared Risk Agreements ® is broken up into three focus sections over the 7 hours. These areas of concern account for the majority of shared risk reimbursement contracts hassles and problems:
- Types of shared risk arrangements in the marketplace
- Reading the contract and finding the potential land mines
- Learning what to ask, how to ask, and how to interpret the answers you get (and the issues payers try to avoid or will not clarify)
In Analyzing and Negotiating Shared Risk Agreements®, Maria Todd zeros in on language loopholes and rate calculations at a strategic level. She connects healthcare product and service marketing, branding, quality, safety, service and accreditation to situational awareness. She teaches how to deal through the landmines that await most providers. She explains how to tweak language loopholes to level the playing field.
Who should attend:
Relative novices and those with lots of experience will benefit from the workshop and will give you a fresh and practical slant that will push you to rethink your habits and assumptions about Payer contract analysis.
What's included with registration:
- Continental Breakfast
- Course Materials on a USB drive (bring a laptop to class to get the maximum benefit)
Analyzing and Negotiating Share Risk Agreements® is a registered trademark of Maria K Todd